Essential Travel Information & Deals“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Nobody likes junk emails that fill up your inbox with useless offers (30% Off Teeth Whitening! Buy Ugly Ray-Bans That Haven’t Sold In Years!). But what if there are junk emails sent to your inbox that…aren’t…junk?
Fortunately these do exist. Below is a growing list of gap year and backpacker websites that have regular updates from the local scene, as well as hot travel deals, winnable (!) competitions and sound advice.
We recommend signing up to their mailing lists so you can be contacted regularly by these sites rather than having to remember to check in.
i-to-i have a terrible name for a ‘learn to teach English’ company, but luckily for them their actual product is great! (Before I travelled to Thailand for my gap year teaching English, I actually did an i-to-i weekend course in Melbourne and was extremely impressed – Will).
- TravelZoo. They send you a lot of bogus package deals that you can quickly send to the trash, but keep an eye open for their incredible deals that appeal to the traveller in you. For instance, I was planning a long weekend in Las Vegas when serendipity called – TravelZoo had a 2-4-1 offer that saw four guys share a double room for $30 a night. Total. Including pool access. At Hooters..
Australia / New Zealand
- TNT Down Under. Backpacking Australia and New Zealand. Search for cheap, budget accommodation, discount air fares and low-cost worldwide travel insurance.
- Time Out. Plan your trip – where to go, what to do and where to stay Australia and New Zealand. Sign up to the specific capital city email.
- Backpacking South Africa. Backpacking and youth travel in South Africa accommodates a variety of tastes, from the tame to the adventurous – all at a price that will suit any pocket.
- Coast to Coast. This website will tell you all you need to know about backpacking in Southern Africa. Whether you’re a city slicker wanting to hit the party zone in major cities like Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban or Port Elizabeth, or a keen hiker looking to experience the breathtaking mountains of the Drakensberg, the pristine Wild Coast or the beautiful Garden Route, you’ll find what you’re looking for right here on this website.